The Spirit, the Comforter. Sermon for Sunday 8th August. 2020.

Holy Spirit Sermon Series. Number 6.

The Spirit, the Comforter 1 Kings 19:1-8 John 14:18-27

8th August 2021 St Cyr, Holy Communion 11.10am and St George, Sacred Space. 6pm.


If I were to say that the Holy Spirit can be comforting, would that ring true? Have you felt the presence of, been comforted or reassured by the Holy Spirit, or is that just an odd question to ask?

Firstly, what do we mean when we talk about the Holy Spirit? Simply, as we reflect on this today, it is one and the same in the Holy Trinity with God and Jesus. And the Holy Spirit is always around and within us. It always has been and always will be, so that when Jesus says he will send an advocate, that is the Holy Spirit, but when the disciples meet the Spirit after Jesus’ ascension, in tongues of fire, it is almost a rebirth of the Spirit, reactivated in the lives of Christians on that day and for us ever since.

But we can also say that simply being aware of the presence of God means the Spirit is actively working out its purpose, God’s purpose in our lives.

And then physically we cannot touch or see God, or meet Jesus, but the spirit becomes something which genuinely helps us to know God, to enter a relationship with and to be aware of God.

Knowing that God is with us, is comforting, and so today we explore the Holy Spirit as comforter.

It can be tempting to think that as Christians, we are blessed, strengthened and filled with zeal and passion for God, or perhaps that we must be filled with zeal and passion, and then when that doesn't happen, we feel like we have failed. There is a fervour which can come from intense moments of clarity and truth, which is okay but hard to sustain, so that most of us are somewhere between zeal and failure in faith and in life.

It helps, I think, to have an example of the holy spirit at work, where we can perhaps see some similarities in our own experiences. Of course, Elijah was a major prophet and the world of the Old Testament was violent and judgemental but there is a moment when even he needs help. He has been zealous in his mission for God, before hitting rock bottom.

To add some context, Elijah had been sent by God to bring the people of Israel back to God, and away from Baal, who Ahab, the King of Israel, and Jezebel, Ahab’s wife, and had turned people to worship.

Elijah had sheltered priests in caves, hiding them from Jezebel, who was zealous herself in persecution of the Israelites. So Elijah challenged 400 prophets of Baal to bring their God forth and he would attempt to bring his God forth.

The prophets of Baal failed, but Elijah succeeded, with God appearing as flame (one of symbols of the Holy Spirit). This inspired the people to come back to the God of Israel and Elijah then killed the 400 prophets of Baal by the sword.

Following this, in today’s reading, Jezebel threatens to kill Elijah in the same way, by the sword, which struck terror into him.

Elijah knows he has been zealous for the God, he has made himself vulnerable, trusting in God to appear as flame before a huge crowd, ending his success with violence. Then to be threatened with death is just too much for an already exhausted man. He retreats to the shelter of a broom tree in the wilderness, so worn down that we he wants his life to end.

In our contemporary language, there would now be a trigger warning, because Elijah’s state of mind at this point of one of depression, he knows he has acted with too much fervour, he is burnt out and exhausted and simply wants to die.

This is quite a dark moment, and while he doesn’t act out this desire, to feel so low, I think, is resonant for many of us. When we’ve acted rashly, have deep regrets, and have worked so hard for so long that the only answer which comes to mind is one from which there is no return, logic would say this is untrue, but logic is not the decider when mood sinks so low.

Elijah then sleeps, but he is not forsaken, judged or forgotten as we are not either, for God knows that he needs food, rest, recovery and safety, so an angel, or messenger, is sent to take care of him, providing heavenly food which sustains him for 40 days. Interesting that like me, certainly, when I’m hungry, I can get grumpy and fed up and God knows this too, ensuring food is provided even if I have to prepare it myself.

And this is a wonderful image, that at his lowest, Elijah was sustained and restored, he rested and was comforted. This legendary prophet, who appeared in the transfiguration alongside Moses, to Jesus, Peter, James and John was also human and capable of great lows and despair.

And so we return to the comforter, the messenger, to Elijah’s Guardian Angel, who appeared when needed.

Much like the role of guardian angels in our lives when open to their presence. There is no judgement or comment, only grace, kindness and love and our angels come in many forms, a friend, someone from church, a neighbour, a partner, a member of the family, a counsellor, a doctor, and perhaps we just need to have eyes to see that angel when they appear and not send them away. Or even seek them out when we need help.

Now Elijah had more work to do, he had recovered some strength, and set out for Horeb, the mountain where Moses had received the ten commandments.

This was a Holy place, and like Moses, Elijah received instruction from the Lord, but not in scrolls or on stone, but in a voice, a voice Elijah met, after being told, ‘Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.’ Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; 12 and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of sheer silence.

Silence

Silence so profound, it could be heard.

Elijah had temporarily lost his purpose and having purpose in life is comforting and we all have a purpose, a calling, even if it can often seem unclear, so I bid you to listen, when faced with sheer silence, or to be ready when your Guardian Angel comes near because in that moment, your purpose, God’s will for you, or the next steps, will become a little clearer.

In this OT story, there are moments of real humanity, where a man is so low, that he despairs but is comforted and restored in his relationship with God in a way which is also deeply comforting for us and for him.

The Holy Spirit is in this. As Jesus said,

“I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.”

And when Jesus says, the Advocate, will teach and remind you, the word Advocate in many different bibles had also been, helper, counsellor, advocate, companion and comforter.

Like Elijah was comforted in his hour of distress, so may we also be comforted, by the Holy Spirit, the comforter, bringing peace from Jesus, without burden, with untroubled hearts, unafraid, and ready, when rested, to begin again.

Amen.

Readings

1 Kings 19:1-15

19Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, and how he had killed all the prophets with the sword. 2Then Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah, saying, “So may the gods do to me, and more also, if I do not make your life like the life of one of them by this time tomorrow.” 3Then he was afraid; he got up and fled for his life, and came to Beer-sheba, which belongs to Judah; he left his servant there. 4But he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a solitary broom tree. He asked that he might die: “It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life, for I am no better than my ancestors.” 5Then he lay down under the broom tree and fell asleep. Suddenly an angel touched him and said to him, “Get up and eat.” 6He looked, and there at his head was a cake baked on hot stones, and a jar of water. He ate and drank, and lay down again. 7The angel of the Lord came a second time, touched him, and said, “Get up and eat, otherwise the journey will be too much for you.” 8He got up, and ate and drank; then he went in the strength of that food forty days and forty nights to Horeb the mount of God.

9 At that place he came to a cave, and spent the night there. Then the word of the Lord came to him, saying, ‘What are you doing here, Elijah?’ 10 He answered, ‘I have been very zealous for the Lord, the God of hosts; for the Israelites have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and killed your prophets with the sword. I alone am left, and they are seeking my life, to take it away.’

11 He said, ‘Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.’ Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; 12 and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of sheer silence. 13 When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. Then there came a voice to him that said, ‘What are you doing here, Elijah?’ 14 He answered, ‘I have been very zealous for the Lord, the God of hosts; for the Israelites have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and killed your prophets with the sword. I alone am left, and they are seeking my life, to take it away.’ 15 Then the Lord said to him, ‘Go, return on your way to the wilderness of Damascus; when you arrive, you shall anoint Hazael as king over Aram.

John 14:18-27

”I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them.” Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will reveal yourself to us, and not to the world?” Jesus answered him, “Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me.

”I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.

Comments